An accelerant is any substance or mixture that accelerates or speeds the development and escalation of fire. Some examples of common accelerants include petrol, diesel, kerosene, butane and any other flammable solvents.
Trained investigators will usually undertake a visual check to determine whether or not an accelerant has been used. They look out for any physical evidence, for example, lighter fuel and cleaning agents. Another way of detecting accelerants at a fire scene is seeing if the floor is burnt and the ceiling isn’t. This is a common way of determining whether or not an accelerant was used.
For further assistance, investigators use gas detection equipment to help examine and assess arson-related sites and to further analyze suspicious samples.
The ION Science Fire Investigation Kit with Tiger or TigerLT photoionization detectors (PID) has been specifically designed to provide you with all the tools for a convenient, easy-to-use solution for the detection of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) within fire and arson investigation applications. It can also be used to detect hydrocarbon compounds, such as those found in petrol, alkanes, and cycloalkanes.
Incorporating ION Science’s patented PID technology, and humidity resistant and anti-contamination design, the portable kit detects VOCs from 0 to 20,000 ppm with a minimum sensitivity of 0.001 ppm (1 ppb). With a 2-second response time, the kit provides fast discovery of potential arson incident analysis accelerants and initial crime scene VOC assessment.
The Fire Investigation Kit includes:
- Tiger or TigerLT for rapid, accurate response to VOCs
- 1m flexi-probe for versatile, practical detection in hard-to-reach places
- Bump test pen to ensure the detector is responding to the presence of volatiles prior to use
- AA Tiger battery pack for emergency power source during long shifts
- Charging cradle & travel charge adaptor for remote charging
- Exhaust barb for collecting samples
- Quick start guide for ease of use and no specialized training required
- Spare PTFE filters for quick and simple Tiger maintenance
- Rugged carry case for easy, secure and robust transportation
For more information on the Fire Investigation Kit and our products for use within your industry, contact ION Science.